The Startup Nations Ministerial is an annual, high-level dialogue among leading policy makers from public-sector agencies focused on how to accelerate encourage entrepreneurial growth. The Startup Nations Ministerial is informed by year-round policy conversations and research emerging from a global network of institutions. It is convened by GEN in partnership with knowledge partners, and guided by a Steering Committee of:
- Mr. Zayed R. Alzayani, Minister of Industry and Commerce, Bahrain
- Mr. Ambitah Kant, CEO, National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog), India
- Mrs. Kristin Schreiber, Director, EU Programme for the Competitiveness of Enterprises & SMEs, European Commission
- Mrs. Mariam Y. Katagum, Minister of State for Industry, Trade and Investment, Nigeria
- Eng. Saleh Alrasheed, Governor, Small and Medium Enterprises General Authority, Saudi Arabia
- Dr. Pichet Durongkaveroj, Minister of Digital Economy & Society, Thailand
Previous Steering Committee members include:
- Mr. Mariano Mayer, Secretary of Entrepreneurs and SMEs, Argentina
- Mrs. Lindiwe Zulu, former Minister of Small Business Development, South Africa
In preparation for the Startup Nations Ministerial, authorities engage in a series of Startup Nations Policy Dialogues, and share knowledge about policy instruments via the Startup Nations Atlas of Policies (SNAP).
The Startup Nations Ministerial is held annually in April aligned with the Global Entrepreneurship Congress (GEC). While the Ministerial focuses on policies to accelerate entrepreneurial activity, the full collection of sessions at the Global Entrepreneurship Congress provides government officials access for knowledge creation and collaborative programming to a diverse array of ecosystem builders, entrepreneurial support organizations, investors and entrepreneurs from 170 nations who participate in the GEC each year.
The 2018 Startup Nations Ministerial in Istanbul, co-hosted by GEN and the World Bank, built on three pilot meetings of ministers held in Milan (2015), Medellin (2016) and Johannesburg (2017), which were led by the United States Government. Bahrain hosted the 2019 Startup Nations Ministerial in Manama.
If you wish to request an invitation for your relevant government authority for the next Startup Nations Ministerial, please contact email@example.com with the full name, title, address and email contact information for your Minister's office to receive an invitation.
To review information about past editions of the Startup Nations Ministerial, click here.